Anguilla Library Computer Club
Build English Skills
The computer can help you improve your skills in English reading, spelling, vocabulary, even grammer.
Activity: Word Rescue
Word Rescue is a fun arcade game that you
can only win if you can read. The shareware version
can be downloaded, but the
has many more levels.
If you find it too difficult, start with the Kid Phonics
The object of Word Rescue is to save the words from
They have stolen the words out of all the books, but
you can put them back by matching the words with
Use the cursor keys to move left and right and to climb
up and down ladders. Use the CTRL key to jump--press CTRL
and a cursor key at the same time to jump over a
You will find slime very helpful - pour it on
a gruzzle with the SPACEBAR.
How to Succeed at Word Rescue
- To end the program, press ESC, then Q and Q again.
- Pick up buckets of slime that you see--your supply is limited.
- Pick up the letters in the order of the Secret Word for extra points and slime.
- The Secret Word is always one of the seven words on that level.
- Press 'W' to see the word list for a level.
- If you are out of slime, run to the other side of a waterfall or slime pit--the Gruzzle may fall in.
- 500 extra points if you complete a level without using slime.
- 500 extra points if you complete a level without mismatches.
- 500 extra points if you collect all the books on a level.
- Speed up or slow down the animation with + and -.
- Press ESC to skip the word-sparkle sequence at the end of a level.
Increase the Difficulty Level
Is Word Rescue too easy for you? Press ESC to get
to the menu, then select Difficulty.
As the difficulty rises, the number of Gruzzles increases
and the availability of slime decreases.
More Word Fun
If you finish all the levels in Word Rescue Episode 1,
the Club also has Episodes 2 and 3. Other programs that
can help your English are:
Look for them on the club menus.
- Wonder Word Crossword Puzzles (DOS only).
- Textris to form falling letters into valid words.
- Wordtrix (Windows Only) with 4 games at 5 levels and 3 difficulties.